This easy to make and cook recipe is sure to be a hit with all the family and the fishcakes can be prepared in advance. The recipe is high in protein, fibre, vitamins and those all-important omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA. Sweet potatoes replace the usual potatoes.
Their asset is that their sugar is more slowly released into the bloodstream, and are excellent sources of vitamins A, C and E.
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
600g salmon fillets
300g sweet potato mash
½ onion, chopped
½ red chilli, deseeded and chopped
100g panko breadcrumbs
1 tbsp olive oil
- Place the salmon fillets on a baking tray and cook in the oven at 200C, for 12-15 minutes. Allow to cool and remove the skin.
- Boil the sweet potatoes until soft, then mash and allow to cool.
- Finely chop the onion and the chilli.
- Break the salmon into small pieces in a bowl, add the sweet potato, onion, chilli and breadcrumbs and mix together. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Divide the mixture into 8 and roll each piece into a ball, then flatten to make the fishcake.
- Put the fishcakes into the refrigerator for half an hour. This will stop them from breaking up during the cooking process.
- Heat the olive oil in s large frying pan, then fry the fishcakes for 4-5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Serve with steamed green beans